Monday, February 8, 2016

Best Breakfast: Peanut Butter Granola

I hardly ever have breakfast with sandwiches any more, which is the norm in Dutch culture. Ever since I switched to granola with vanilla yoghurt in the morning, my digestion has been better in general. But because eating the same granola over and over gets boring as well, I tend to make the same one only two times in a row, and then try something new. While this isn't the most healthy one I posted, it is the easiest one and the most low budget one so far. For a lot of granola recipes I go to a speciality shop so I can weigh the exact amount of nuts and seeds that I need so I am not over paying because nuts and seeds are kinda expensive. For this recipe I don't have to go to the speciality shop, so it is really easy if I don't have much time for the extra trip.


Peanut Butter Granola: (Makes about 5 cups)
- 5 cups oats (about 450 gr)
- 0.5 cup peanut butter, maybe a bit more
- 0.5 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- some chocolate pieces to taste (dark or milk)

Pre heat the oven to 140 degrees. Put the oats in a large bowl. Combine the peanut butter and honey and place it for about 45 seconds in the microwave until the peanut butter starts to melt. Add in the vanilla and stir through. Cover the oats with the mixture. Now you decide if it needs some more peanut butter. It depends if you can get everything covered.

Place the granola on a baking tray covered with parchment paper. Make sure that the granola is in a single layer. I always have to bake mine in two batches. Bake for about 20 minutes. Then stir and bake for about 10-15 minutes longer. Let it cool completely before adding the pieces of chocolate.


No comments:

Post a Comment