Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Heartwarming Soup: African Peanut Soup

All though I find most of the recipes I make online, I also have a subscription to the vega gezond magazine. Most recipes in that magazine are a bit on the expensive side but sometimes I find a recipe that is tasty and budget friendly to make. Even though I don't have tried many recipes yet, I am already a fan of the African cuisine. I know there is officially no such thing, because Africa is a big country ;) We served this soup with low carb muffins, which I will share later. I made this soup once before in the summer and this time I made it in the slow cooker. I will give directions for both.


African Peanut Soup (serves 4)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 5 cm piece of ginger, chopped
- 400 gr sweet potatoes, in small cubes
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 dash of cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 120 ml unsalted peanut butter
- 200 ml oat milk (or coconut milk or regular milk, all work)
- 150 gr baby spinach

Heat the oil in a large soup pan. Toss in onion, garlic and ginger and bake shortly. Toss in the sweet potatoes and bake again. Then add 1 litre of water together with all the spices and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes until the sweet potatoes are soft. Toss in the tomatoes, milk and peanut butter. Taste and adjust with more spices if needed. Leave the soup to simmer for 10 more minutes. Puree the soup and lastly add the cut spinach and stir through.

For the slow cooker: (3.5L)
Toss in everything including 1 litre of water except for the spinach. Put on high for 4.5 hours. Transfer the soup to a normal pan and puree it. Add the spinach before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment