Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Heartwarming Soup: Curried Pea Soup

I wanted to share one of my spring recipes with you today, but the weather here is so stormy that I thought this wintery recipe was more suitable. In the Netherlands there is a typical pea soup called snert. I was looking for a vegetarian recipe for snert when I found this recipe and decided to make this instead. I am glad I did because honestly, I like this soup better than classic snert. Even though I still want to make that too. But that probably won't happen until next winter. The original recipe is from PoppelePats Weblog.


Curried Pea Soup: (serves 4)
- 2 spring onions
- 100 gr carrots
- 25 gr butter
- 2 tbsp mild currypowder
- 275 gr dried split peas
- 1.5 L herbal broth
- 250 gr matured cheese
- salt and pepper
- bread for serving

Chop the spring onions and clean and cube the carrots. Heat the butter in a soup pan. Add carrots, onion and currypowder. Bake softly for about 2 minutes. Rinse the peas in a colander and add these and the 1.5 L herbal broth to the pan. Bring to a boil, then let the soup simmer for about 45 minutes.
Cut the cheese into small cubes. Taste if the soup needs salt and pepper.
Pour the soup into 4 soup bowls and divide 125 gr of the cheese over the 4 soup bowls. Serve with bread and the rest of the cheese. We choose for Italian buns. For a vegan soup, omit the cheese and use margarine instead of butter.


No comments:

Post a Comment