Tuesday, September 9, 2014

FoodBlogSwap Extra: Red Rice from Bulgur

Like I said in the previous foodblogswap posts, I made 3 different recipes this month from Mijn Mixed Kitchen instead of the one recipe that is required. This time I made a side dish, that I actually know from Greek restaurants, where something similar is served. It was my first time eating bulgur, but in the meantime I made another recipe with it yesterday and I am convinced that this will be on the table more often. I love this red bulgur as a side dish next to some stir fried veggies. In the original recipe fresh pepper and pepper pasta is used, But I just used pul biber (dried red pepper flakes) to spice it up, because I didn't feel like buying more ingredients while I still had this from the lahmacun. For the original recipe, follow the link above.


Red Rice from Bulgur (serves 4 as a side)
- 150 gr bulgur
- 1 tomato
- 1 spring onion
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pul biber (dried red pepper flakes)
- 2 tbsp neutral oil

Make a cross in the bottom of the tomato and lay it in boiling water for a couple of minutes. Cut the spring onion in fine rings. Remove the skin from the tomato and dice it. Heat oil in a small pan and bake the onion shortly. Then add the tomato and bake until the tomato sort of melted (a few minutes). Add the tomato paste, bulgur, salt and pul biber. Stir well. Then add 500 ml boiling water. Stir through and cover it with a lid. Bring to a boil, and then let it simmer on low heat for about a minute or 10 until you start to see "holes" between the bulgur. Place some kitchen towels in between the lid and the pan and leave it to rest for 10 more minutes. Stir through before serving. We used the 10 minutes resting to make some stir fried veggies in sweet and sour sauce. You can keep this covered in your fridge for 2 days after preparing.


No comments:

Post a Comment