Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Very Veggie: Sajoer Beans

Sajoer is a kind of spice combination that is often used in the Indonesian kitchen. In the Netherlands these dishes are very popular and we can buy them here pre made from the Conimex brand. It is a kind of marinade for your vegetables and is commonly used with beans. Because I like to cook from scratch as much as possible to avoid all those nasty add ins, so I hardly bought those mixes. I often feel they are too salty as well. When we were at a friends house a few days before x-mas he made us these beans. And when I happen to stumble upon a recipe on Judith in the Kitchen, I was sold, and wanted to make this. It is a bit spicy, so keep that in mind! We served them with pandan rice and store bought veggie balls in sateh sauce. I can recommend making more Indonesian side dishes to combine them, but energy wise, this is hard here. But I do intent to make more in the future, so that I have those recipes here, and people can combine them :) I do already have a recipe for home made sateh sauce. Both recipes are vegan :)


Sajoer Beans (serves 4 as a side)
For the mix:
- 1 spring onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tsp ketjap manis
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tsp sambal oelek (use less for less spicy result)
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil

- 500 gr green beans, in about 3 cm pieces
- 400 ml coconut milk

Cook the beans for 5 minutes and drain. Place all the ingredients for the spice mix in a food processor and combine to a paste. Heat this paste in a wok shortly. Add the beans and bake a little bit more. Add coconut milk and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. It might take a bit longer but you want it to thicken and the beans need to be done, but still have a bite.


No comments:

Post a Comment